PENANG - MALAYSIA

The hour and a quarter on the plane was a lot better than the 11 hours on a cramped mini bus I did going in the opposite direction 2 years earlier. The accommodation I pre-booked was "full" so I found another place further up the road.

I was only staying in Penang as long as it took me to find someone else who was taking the ferry to Sumatra. Within an hour I found someone who was going called Robbie who was from Liechtenstein. Like a lot of towns in Malaysia all it would take is to cover up the open drains and a bit of fresh white paint on the buildings and the place would be a lot better. On the other hand it was good to have a change of food and great to be able to walk round a town without being constantly hounded by taxi drivers. Also noticed that costs in Malaysia had stayed much the same where as in Thailand they had gone up a lot.

On my full day there 2 of us paid roughly 10 pounds each to have a car with driver for the day. The other person was from Reunion !!! What are the chances of meeting him and someone from Liechtenstein on the same day???

Our driver was great and very knowledgeable about Penang island. I was impressed by how many times he said "the British built this"


We went round China town, a butterfly farm that had other stuff as well, places where they grow all the rubber trees/spices/fruit etc, a temple on a hill and the snake temple.


The snake temple had snakes just curled up above where they lit all the candles. Despite claims the incense burning makes them docile I stood well back and used my zoom on the camera.

On my previous visit I described Penang as my least favourite place in Malaysia but this time I thought it was a great place to visit. Next I was going off the South East Asia beaten track to Sumatra.

No comments:

Post a Comment