LONDON

I had traveled the world but never spent more than 6 hours at a time in my own countries capital. My sisters had been London loads of times between them but never done the “hostel thing”. So it was off to London for the weekend, Louise picked the itinerary for the weekend while I picked the accommodation.

Myself and Sarah went by train and met Louise who has arrived a few days earlier, we stopped in St Christophers which I chosen because I had stayed at their hostel in Paris earlier in the year. I wasn’t sure what they were going to make of their twin room but they seemed happy enough with it. They were not too impressed with the low shower/toilets to guests ration. I stopped in my usual, an 8 bed dorm room full of people who liked getting very drunk and waking everyone up at 3am!!!.



The first evening we just went for a walk round, obviously the first time I had seen London at night. When using the underground I just let Louise lead the way, with the amount of solo travelling I had done in my time it was nice to just be able to follow someone else. We stopped for an Indian at the spice Bazaar and the staff remember Louise from before. Finally we went to the pub below our hostel only for a couple as we were tired and had a long day ahead.


First stop on Saturday was predictably Harrods, the first time it was interesting to go in for the novelty factor but I have to shake my head in disbelief at the cost of some of the things in there. Is a luxury bar of chocolate costing 6 times more than a normal one actually 6 times better ?



Next was the open top bus tour which was something I don’t usually do and to be fair it was ok apart from the fact that it was cold and rained slightly. Even Louise said she got to see parts of the city she had never seen before.



Also included in the cost was a boat trip we did later on which I thought wasn’t bad. In between we was going to go to the aquarium but gave up because the queue was so long and we had another tour booked for later on. In the evening we headed over to Whitechapel for the “Jack the ripper” walking tour. I didn’t take any pictures because it was dark but it was an interesting if a little disturbing couple of house by a very knowledgeable tour guide. We headed to Chinatown for a meal, Sarah and Louise didn’t like Chinese dumplings!!!



Finally we headed to Belushis bar which was below the other half of our accommodation. I had to deal with an idiot doorman who wasn’t going to let us in because we didn’t have I.D. When I politely explained to him that I had to show my passport and be over 18 to get my room keycard in the first place he got a bit aggressive. At the other one showed some sense and let us in, being asked for I.D at 35 years old when it’s your own accommodations bar is an absolute joke. We only stopped for a couple as it had been a long tiring day. During the night everyone was kept awake by the sound of fighting in the streets.


The final morning we checked out and headed off to Camden town carrying all our stuff. A part of London I had never seen before I liked the look of it straight the way and mentally bookmarked it for another trip. After a walk round the market and a quick drink at a very costly pub it was time for the train home.

Not a bad weekend away...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment