LONDON

It was an idea I had for ages but never got round to actually doing it, spend a weekend in London and do the same sort of thing I do when backpacking in foreign lands. Head off Friday after work and come back Sunday afternoon. It was the weekend before my 36th Birthday and with a lot of friends at the download music festival and some watching cricket the chances of doing anything memorable were even more remote than usual.

 
I had flown from London so many times it was like being on autopilot so much so that I nearly forgot to I wasn’t going to Heathrow airport this time. I stayed at Swiss cottage due to being close to Camden which I like the look of last time I was in London. I checked in went for some food then headed down to the bar. I had barely got halfway through my first drink when I had got talking to some others and was invited out with a group of about 10 to go drinking in the pubs around Camden.

 
The person who seemed to be doing the organising was an Australian who was a bit loud and annoying but he seemed to know where everything was. We went into a few pubs and generally had a good night. Then we all got asked for I.D at one pub, I was the only one who had left my passport at the hostel as I rushed out as short notice. But I was still let in, this happened 3 times over the night and I was lucky as it only would have taken one of them to ruin my night as it was a half hour walk back to the hostel.

 
In the end people started leaving and heading back, I was one of the last and could have stayed longer but it was a great start to the weekend.

 
I woke up early the following morning so I thought I would make an early start to the days sightseeing. First start was the cabinet war rooms recommended by dad (obviously!!). It was an interesting place and I was inside for around 2 hours which is rare for me in a museum.

 
Before going in I arrived at 9:15am (the opening time is 9:30am), there seemed to be a large number of people heading for a heavy security gate nearby. So I went for a walk “round the block” to kill 15 minutes when I was pulled aside by 2 security people and quizzed about what I was doing in London. I had my passport checked with the PNC, I was of course polite with them and answered all their questions. The extra security that day was due to Trooping the colour .

 

The next stop (this time on advice of Louise) was to the top of St Pauls, up some very steep and narrow stairs. It was a great view from the top if seriously windy. My interest in the religious parts of the building were seriously limited so I didn’t stay that long after.



I walked all the way back to Swiss Cottage via Fleet street where I seen the red arrows fly over. Then Camden market where I stocked up on some well needed food. A rainstorm forced me back to the hostel at around 3pm but I did at least get out and see something.

I quickly met up with several of the people who I had been out with the previous night, in the end 6 of us arranged to go out for food then head for a bar and club in town. Someone wanted to visit a recommended vietnamese place so that’s where we headed. It was a bit of a long way both on the underground and the walking once we got out. Nice place, nice food, bit crowded but we all liked it. I did however question the logic of passing several dozen less crowded places to visit that one, you can’t really go wrong with noodle soup!!!!!

I went to a sports bar with a lad from Rotterdam who went school just round the corner from where I stayed a few months earlier. The others went back to get changed, we didn’t expect them to come back and meet us but they did at the last minute.

We headed to a nearby club called Tiger Tiger, 15 pounds to get in and over 5 pounds a drink, shocking prices but I wasn’t too bothered as I hardly ever get the chance to go somewhere like that. A great place and not a bad night out had by all, we got back to the hostel around 2AM.

I left for home late sunday morning while a scottish lad was explaining to a horrified French girl the concept of deep fried mars bars!!!!!. Overall it was a better weekend than I expected, took the minimum of planning and hassle. I left for home thinking why didn’t I do this 10 years earlier ?

No comments:

Post a Comment